In the 3rd semester students have three options and must choose one:
- An internship
- A research-based project
- Studies at another university
Prior approval by the Teaching Committee (TC) must be obtained before c is commenced. The TC prepares operational guidelines for the 3rd semester.
1. Internship (30 ECTS)
The aim of the internship is to train the student to independently formulate, analyze and provide solutions to a management/organizational or policy problem through the integration of theoretical reflection and practical action.
The internship provides an opportunity to combine theories and methods from the study programme with the practices of companies, organizations and institutions. The internship must have an educational aim as well as contribute to the development or the operations of the host organisation.
The student is part of the host organization and will work on assignments agreed upon by the host and the student and approved by the third semester coordinator. The student receives guidance from an SDC supervisor in the preparation of the project report for this semester. The internship host also assigns a contact person to support the student.
The learning objectives for the Internship are that the student upon completion can:
- Formulate a research problem based on the task solved during the internship and relevant to the internship host’s operations
- Design and execute a theoretically informed research design based on the task(s) solved for the internship host organisation.
- Suggest solutions to challenges faced by the host organization based on the analysis
- Reflect on her/his interaction with the host organization and its members during the internship as well as how the host organization is organized and managed.
2. Research-based project (30 ECTS)
The aim of a research-based project is to train the student to independently formulate, analyze and provide solutions to a management/organizational or policy problem through theoretical reflections and empirical research.
The research-based project should preferably be done in collaboration with an organization that may benefit from the knowledge you produce (e.g. a company, a government agency, an NGO or an international organization).
The student works independently, alone or in groups, on a management/policy problem/topic of theoretical and practical relevance and approved by the third semester coordinator. The student receives guidance from an SDC supervisor in the preparation of the project report for this semester.
The learning objectives for the Research-Based Project are that the student upon completion can:
- Formulate a research problem of theoretical and practical nature
- Prepare and implement a research design for how to collect and analyze data and provide solutions to the problem
- Review and critically discuss and select appropriate theories for analyzing and providing solutions to the defined problem
- Identify and discuss practical implications of the project
- Work independently on the conducting of a study with scientific rigor
3. Studies at another university (30 ECTS)
The aim of studies at another university is to deepen and/or complement the SDC-study programme and thus improve the academic and professional profile of the student.
The studies at another university must receive the prior approval by the TC and should fulfil the following criteria:
- Be at graduate level (4-5th year)
- Provide and transfer 30 ECTS
- Deepen and/or complement the SDC-PMSD programme